At Hijinx we’ve got just 7 recommendations for screen industry standards for casting learning-disabled and/or autistic actors. It really is as simple as this to change the world:
- REFLECT DIVERSITY: of society in film and TV productions, creating more storylines involving learning disabled (LD) characters
- AVOID STEREOTYPES: develop nuanced, true-to-life LD characters
- CAST AUTHENTICALLY: bring an end to casting non-disabled actors as disabled characters
- AUDITION APPROPRIATELY: offer non-script-based auditions to actors who find reading challenging, and relaxed auditions.
- WORK IN PARTNERSHIP: with experts in the field of learning disability to understand and meet the needs of LD actors
- INVEST IN TRAINING: upskill staff to know how to communicate well with LD actors and freelancers
- PROVIDE EXPERIENCE: for LD actors to experience life on set
We know this won’t happen overnight. We are here to help with ALL of the above. Drop us a line or give us a call and we can work together to make the changes that we all want to see.
Email: email@example.com or phone 029 20 300 331. PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO COVID-19 IT IS BEST TO EMAIL FOR NOW.